[plug] starting a linux mag?

Harry McNally harrymc at decisions-and-designs.com.au
Thu Nov 14 22:36:57 WST 2002

On Thu, 14 Nov 2002 20:14:50 +0800 "John Knight" <anarchist_tomato at hotmail.com> wrote:

> G'day all!
> A thought struck me the other day (I had a headache tablet and went to bed
> from the force of it -chortle-chortle), we don't have any Linux magazines of
> our own (that I'm aware of) in Australia and I figure that maybe I should
> start one? I have no idea what I'm up for, what's involved, etc, but I'm
> willing to have a crack at it and I figure that there'd be a few interested,
> potential 'co-workers' in PLUG or CA? ;)

Dear Dr Tomato

Given that Linux is international and there are international mags out there, do you think this might be reinventing the circular transportation device ?

Damage from blunt thought objects aside, what would differentiate an Australian Linux mag from say Linux Format and other UK and US publications ? If you can figure how to create difference then it may succeed. Its tricky tho' when the target audience are already on-line and therefore getting information instantly.

I'd compose a table of contents for six issues over the last six months and see if it can be sustained on Australian newsworthy content. If it can, then it may get up. Can I do any ? Nope, I'm already being told to ease the pedal off the metal a tad :)

cu
Harry

--
linux.conf.au 2003		The Australian Linux Technical Conference
http://linux.conf.au/		22-25 January 2003 in Perth, Western Australia

Are you a computer angel?	http://www.ca.asn.au/