[plug] Computer Angels was: Re: [CA] CD-Roms

Harry McNally harrymc at decisions-and-designs.com.au
Fri Nov 15 08:29:00 WST 2002

Hi PLUGers

I've just posted a response to our Computer Angels list that I thought may bring PLUG people up to date about our activities. No point in typing it all in again :) It's quite long. If you have time, enjoy.

cu
Harry

On Thu, 14 Nov 2002 17:42:55 +0800 "Firefox - Julian Southern" <DESPAMMED> wrote:

> Angels,
>
> Would someone please confirm or deny the rumor that the Commitee has
> approved the removal of the CD-ROM drives in order to prevent recipient from
> installing Windows Software on to the machines.

Hi Julian

The answer may not satisfy your rumour monger. The new committee was presented with a backlog of 90 machines to fulfil and the workshop supervisor (I) insisted on removal of the CD drives after one was delivered to a recipient that was not functioning. This means we don't need to test a CD drive on machines which are not yet (and may never be) multimedia equipped.

Why are you listening to speculation ? It really is not relevant to what we are providing.

But your enquiry does give us an opportunity to address our aspirations as an organisation. The aims and objectives of Computer Angels are first and foremost to "promote and encourage computer literacy". In order to dispel the misconception that we simply "hand out free computers" we now carefully explain the program in which people apply to participate. Our request is that people write, in their own words, the applications or benefit they wish to obtain from a computer. This assists us to determine that they have considered their needs and helps us guide their training. In addition, if people can give us information that can substantiate that they are unable to purchase a second hand computer or a new computer then they may also be eligible to continue their training using a computer that we provide for the purpose.

So, we are making it clear to applicants that the fundamental aim is to gain new skills; a far more powerful asset than the receipt of a "plastic box". In our approach, the computer itself is just a means to an end. Interestingly, the prospect of entering a period of hands on training has dissuaded a number of applicants who may have expected that they could simply make an application and have a free computer delivered.

This is where we are able to achieve our objectives in a different way to the two other organisations who are working to assist people with computer access. Mandurah Muscateers provide a computer for a small donation which includes the Windows operating system and we suggest them to people who have a specific application in mind that is based upon Windows software. Similarly, TADWA (through their Computer Loan Service), offer equipment with a moderate hardware support fee that is targeted to people with disabilities. Given their expertise in this area, they have requested that people with disabilities are referred to them so that they can provide the necessary support for special needs. Computer Loan Service use more powerful machines received mainly through government donors (I believe) and these are supplied with Windows with recipients responsible for obtaining other software in consultation with CLS and TADWA staff.

We can achieve our training program by providing an older less powerful machine with Open Source software including GNU/Linux. This gives us access to 8700 software applications in the distribution we are using (debian woody) and the next version, in development, already contains more than 10,000 programs.

We have chosen a group of these applications that provide a crossover (in "look and feel" and file interchange) to proprietary products by Microsoft and other vendors. These proprietary products have a high purchase price and are regularly upgraded by software vendors at a price that is beyond the means of many of our participants. Simply put, if people are unable to purchase a computer then new software or future software upgrades exceed the price of the hardware itself. As the cost of hardware has been driven down by competitive pressure, the software has become a significant part of the purchase price and software upgrades a significant part of ongoing "costs of ownership".

Other features make the Open Source software more robust and less complex for novice participants. An example is the email program's immunity to viruses. This avoids purchase and regular update of anti-virus software so that participants can learn what matters most; good communication techniques with email and an appreciation of "netiquette". Politeness in the on-line world is just as important as our daily face to face interaction.

As our newsletter shows, we have training programs running for which we have been given heartfelt thanks by our participants. One participant expressed this to us in a poignant letter which we have (with their permission) placed on the website. We plan to continue to grow the new testimonials page as we hear more success stories from our participants.

So, I hope I've explained some of the changes that the new committee are making to further our aims as a volunteer organisation. With moderate funds and enthusiastic volunteer technical support, not affordable at commercial rates, we are able to deliver on our aims and work to grow computer literacy in Western Australia. We recieve support through the Perth Linux User Group and other IT professionals who appreciate why our development of computer literacy is important.

There will always be more to do but I am very positive about where we are heading as a team and what we can offer to our community.

All the best
Harry

--
linux.conf.au 2003		The Australian Linux Technical Conference
http://linux.conf.au/		22-25 January 2003 in Perth, Western Australia

Are you a computer angel?	http://www.ca.asn.au/