[plug] Computer Angels (10,000 programs)

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Fri Nov 15 11:20:40 WST 2002

On Friday 15 November 2002 08:29 am, Harry McNally wrote:
> We can achieve our training program by providing an older less powerful
> machine with Open Source software including GNU/Linux. This gives us access
> to 8700 software applications in the distribution we are using (debian
> woody) and the next version, in development, already contains more than
> 10,000 programs.

Including over 70 Apache 2 modules alone... head spinning at the thought of
having to administer them all... (-:

> As the cost of hardware has been driven
> down by competitive pressure, the software has become a significant part of
> the purchase price and software upgrades a significant part of ongoing
> "costs of ownership".

And to call a shovel a shovel, you don't support stealing AKA piracy,
including by providing platforms which encourage the practice.

> As our newsletter shows, we have training programs running for which we
> have been given heartfelt thanks by our participants. One participant
> expressed this to us in a poignant letter which we have (with their
> permission) placed on the website. We plan to continue to grow the new
> testimonials page as we hear more success stories from our participants.

Yes, the old story! Give a man a fish, he owes you one fish; teach a man to
fish, and you now have a competitor. Er... that's not ow it goes, is it? (-:

> There will always be more to do but I am very positive about where we are
> heading as a team and what we can offer to our community.

Face it, Harry you're positive about almost everything! (-:

Cheers; Leon