"stealing"? was Re: [plug] Computer Angels (10,000 programs)

garry garbuck at westnet.com.au
Fri Nov 15 13:04:36 WST 2002

Even though I'm a part of Computer Angels and exclusively a Debian user,  I
think that there is a place for closed source software.

Just not my place.

If "John Smith's" business model and income is built on the closed source
and-sold-as-is model, he certainly wouldn't say it is a victimless crime when
someone doesn't pay him for his work. After all, he distributes by sale his
product with the copyright intact. As soon as his work is redistributed
without his permission, his copyright and his ability to earn a living are
affected.

If you have his product legitimately, you are bound by a contract for it's
use. If you don't have his permission, it is stolen goods.

Personally I think that the closed source operating system software business
is in a bit of bother, and the open source model is proving superior. But if
something is sold under certain conditions, ie a licence, there is a legal
AND a moral responsibility to obey that. No matter how much we abhore the
practices of certain really big companies, they do have their rights too.

Respecting this because it is the right thing to do is a part of Ethics..

My 5cents worth..

Garry