"stealing"? was Re: [plug] Computer Angels (10,000 programs)

Russell russells at plug.linux.org.au
Fri Nov 15 12:38:12 WST 2002

On Fri, Nov 15, 2002 at 11:20:40AM +0800, Leon Brooks wrote:
> And to call a shovel a shovel, you don't support stealing AKA piracy,
> including by providing platforms which encourage the practice.

Hmmm.  You're not really talking about shovels.  Nor stealing, nor
piracy.  I think you mean copyright infringement.  :)

Seriously, for people to understand the issues involved, the correct
terms need to be used.  Calling copyright infringement "stealing"
reinforces the attitude that restrictive copyright practices are ok,
and that it's also ok to have harsh penalties for what are really
victimless crimes.

Russell
(With his Stallmanite hat on, preaching to the choir.)