[plug] Software replacement list

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Fri Nov 15 17:00:10 WST 2002

>>NB: I was trying to find out if there is an app under linux that can open or
>>convert MS Publisher files.

If anybody finds one, I sure want to know. The POST gets lots of (badly)
DIY ads from people unwilling to pay the production fee to get a pro to
design the ad. Many are in MS Publisher and (worse) MS Word format. No
matter what I say and what goes on the format list, they keep coming in,
its horrible.

Personally I think its their own damnn fault for not reading the
accepted formats list when the POST tells them "sorry you'll have to
make a PDF, EPS or JPEG of that or have us re-do it for you at a fee,
since you didn't use a format we can use." Alas, its becoming a problem
and it appears that catering to idiots may be in order :-(

So an MS Publisher -> (anything useful, preferably EPS) converter would
be wonderful. The people who do publisher ads are the sort of people who
say "I have Acrobat" (they mean Acrobat Reader) and complain when trying
to create a PDF doesn't work. Sure, I could get them to install generic
PostScript drivers and save to file, but most of the people are too
stupid to do that w/o hours of work on the phone and would be incapable
of sending us the fonts they used anyway.

OK, calming down now.

Yeah, lets just say that an MS Publisher converter would be /really/ nice.

--
Craig Ringer
	-- if it ain't broke, add features 'till it is. (or:)