[plug] Using psnup

Russell Steicke r.steicke at bom.gov.au
Sat Nov 16 18:06:01 WST 2002

On Sat, Nov 16, 2002 at 05:01:02PM +0800, David Buddrige wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a postscript file that I want to convert so that each A4 sheet has 2
> pages on it  - each A5 sized and side by side.
>
> To do this, I am trying to use psnup command to convert the file.
>
> The command I am using is this:
>
> psnup -pa4 -2 kde.ps > kde2.ps
>
> However when I run this command, I get the following:
>
> Wrote 0 pages, 3049016 bytes

At a first guess, I'd say that kde.ps may be missing the Adobe DSC
(Document Structuring Conventions ?) stuff.  Have a look at the first
few lines of kde.ps.  You should see lots of PostScript comments that
start with "%%".  "%" introduces a comment, but "%%" at the start of the
line is meant to be treated specially by some PostScript processors.
DSC comments do things like indicate the start of each page (eg so that
psnup knows what bits to extract) and tell how many pages there are.

If this is the problem, try one of the fix??ps scripts that come with
psutils.  eg fixfmps modifies Framemaker output so that psutils can
process it.