[plug] starting a linux mag?

Justin Hall justin at inwa.com.au
Sun Nov 17 11:25:25 WST 2002

On Sun, 17 Nov 2002 10:53 am, Hook wrote:
> I agree with everything you've said John - however, how are we going to
> finiance this?  To get taken seriously, mags have to be glossy these days
True.
Why not get your pilot issue, and the first few issues, included in another
mag? Just do a 15 page suppliment - it has been done for a few different mags
by APC over the years..
Then once you build up a readership, gather some interest - maybe even a
backer.. then you can get your own advertising and go solo..

APC Mag has seemed to be in the business of helping other mags start out,
probably only mags from their own publisher - but you can but ask.

On the issue of content - some of the questions that have 'hit' the plug list
over the years could make up a great little general tips section.. little
perl scripts to do this or that.. a bit of bash.. how to make an image of
your windows drive using DD .. etc
each month someone compiles a small collection of the best of PLUG email tip
history...

$0.02

Justin