[plug] starting a linux mag?

John Knight anarchist_tomato at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 18 09:35:20 WST 2002

G'day mate, just answering below.....

Make lunch, not war.

>John,
>
>This project is doomed from the start unless you get the following:
>
>1.	Committed, full-time team.
>2.	Office
>3.	Advertisers
>4.	Money
>
>"Full-time team" could be just one person, working their arse off, with a
>bunch of other committed part-timers.  But you need someone (and preferably
>a few someones) whose primary focus in life is the magazine.

That could be me (read on first though).

>Without an office to put it all together in, and as a place of work for
>others to come to for business, it ain't gonna happen.

'tis what I'm worried about cap'n, that's one for a meeting perhaps (sounds
like we have a big agenda!), I'm no help there.

>Advertisers, well I have spoken about this before.

I'm prepared to go free advertising to get them interested for the first
month/pilot issue, as for others I'm not sure.

>And, well, money makes the world go round.  It is certainly what one pays
>printers with.
>
>Are you prepared to be the full-timer for this project?  If not, who is
>going to be?

Not until January where I can be pretty full on, I'll leave the first
semester of 2003 wide open and if we can't get it going, back to TAFE.
Otherwise, I'll be prepared to be the full-timer on it, once I know a bit
more about what I'm getting into here.

>The only alternative is for an amateur effort.  This would probably mean
>lower standards and the inevitable bitchery that goes on in volunteer
>efforts.  Unless you got a Business Development Grant (or whatever they are
>called nowadays) or some other form of govt funding.  It is not
>unreasonable
>to think that this could be done.

A business development grant would be good, I've got a wee bit of dosh that
I was putting aside in the bank (a grand to use for such things, another in
extreme reserve (Japan travelling money)).
I'll need major legal help from someone to get a development grant though, I
believe people at TAFE can help me though? I'm prepared to do an amateur
effort for the first issue, if not the first few, a few fellow teens would
probably be the same, I know my graphic designer and I would be good to go,
if it helps turn it into a full-blown mag at the end, alles gut.

Cheers for your never ending help, mate, you're a champ! :D