[plug] Best distro for laptops?

Ian H. Hogben ian at cottesloe.wa.gov.au
Wed Nov 20 10:38:47 WST 2002

Hello, list:

I am wondering if anyone out there has an opinion on the best distribution of linux for a laptop. A few of the considerations that I am interested in:

*)	Encrypted, journalling filesystem support
*)	Excellent power management support (speedstep configuration? are there degrees of support for this or is it standard across the board?)
*)	Excellent USB support (cameras, storage, keyboard etc.)
*)	Good package management out-of-the-box (apt, gurpmi, yast etc).

And while I'm at it, what do you all think of 802.11b cards? I am looking for one that has a built-in pig tail connector and works with most wardriving apps (oh; and is cheap :-). I had a Cisco card once and I found that many apps didn't support it...

Thanks!

Ian Hogben
Town of Cottesloe
PH: (08) 9285 5014