[plug] Best distro for laptops?

Davyd 'proXy' Madeley proxy at zdlcomputing.com
Wed Nov 20 11:41:19 WST 2002

On Wed, 2002-11-20 at 10:38, Ian H. Hogben wrote:
> Hello, list:
>
> I am wondering if anyone out there has an opinion on the best distribution of linux for a laptop. A few of the considerations that I am interested in:

This is a good question. I have been wondering this personally.
The commercial distros seem to have more support out of the box, but as
usual debian offers more power.

> *)	Encrypted, journalling filesystem support

Does this exist? If so, that's cool, I was looking at implementing
something like this using libferris.

> *)	Excellent power management support (speedstep configuration? are there degrees of support for this or is it standard across the board?)

All of these suck out of the box as far as I know.
You have to hack around in order to make them work.

> *)	Excellent USB support (cameras, storage, keyboard etc.)

No comment.

> *)	Good package management out-of-the-box (apt, gurpmi, yast etc).

apt is by far the best packaging system.

> And while I'm at it, what do you all think of 802.11b cards? I am looking for one that has a built-in pig tail connector and works with most wardriving apps (oh; and is cheap :-). I had a Cisco card once and I found that many apps didn't support it...

You can by a RoamAbout orinoco card for about $70 if you know where to
look. They work perfectly out of the box. Plus with some driver hacking,
(the patches should be easy to apply) they w*ch*k easily.

--
http://davyd.ucc.asn.au/
linux.conf.au Perth 2003 <http://www.linux.conf.au>

PGP Fingerprint <http://davyd.ucc.asn.au/pgp>
08B0 341A 0B9B 08BB 2118  C060 2EDD BB4F 5191 6CDA