[plug] Linux.Conf.Au Update.

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Thu Nov 21 15:33:23 WST 2002

On Thu, 21 Nov 2002, Harry McNally wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Nov 2002 14:42:54 +0800 (WST) Bret Busby <bret at busby.net> wrote:
>
> > The problem is that to find the information ..
> > .. lynx shows ..
> > .. I do not know whether lynx has a "Find in this
> > page" facility.
>
> Ok, well with all credit to James and his helpers I've just run up a
> Computer Angels machine and viewed the page beautifully in two of the
> lightest graphical browsers we install; dillo and skipstone. Skipstone has
> a find facility in the drop downs and dillo has one when you right mouse
> click in the window (or use control-F).
>
> Consider installing these tools if, like the CA machines, you are tight on
> memory.
>
> All the best
> Harry

It's not an issue of shortage of memory (320MB); it's that I run PINE in
its own console or login session, or whatever the correct term is
(<ALT><Fx>), and, from that, the URL viewer that opens, is lynx.

Thus, for the most part, I use lynx to read web pages for which the
URL's are sent in email messages.

On a 15" monitor with 800x600 resolution, xterm characters are too small
to easily read, and, running PINE in xterm would mean that, on those
occasions when XWindows crashes, I would have duplicate messages
downloaded in all my folders, via the filters, as PINE does not flush
the INBOX on the mail server, until PINE is shutdown using q . PINE has
many advantages; but, when problems occur, they certainly do occur, due
to that aspect.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
  Chapter 28 of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
- Douglas Adams, 1988