[plug] Linux.Conf.Au Update.

Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima tony at cantech.net.au
Thu Nov 21 16:10:18 WST 2002

On Thu, 21 Nov 2002, Bret Busby wrote:

> On a 15" monitor with 800x600 resolution, xterm characters are too small
> to easily read, and, running PINE in xterm would mean that, on those
> occasions when XWindows crashes, I would have duplicate messages
> downloaded in all my folders, via the filters, as PINE does not flush
> the INBOX on the mail server, until PINE is shutdown using q . PINE has
> many advantages; but, when problems occur, they certainly do occur, due
> to that aspect.

On the font's being too small
Start and Xterm hold down control and button1 click (Left mouse)  You will see
a meneu of varying font sizes On "huge" I can read my eamil from about 2
meters away at 1280x1024 (100dpi).  So there should be no issues with small
fonts.  If you want to set the default then email the list, we can help you
then.

On pine and X crashing.
You can run pine from withing screen (the screen man page is long but great).
Doing this will mean that iff X does crash, as long as you don't reboot your
computer you can pickup pine _exactly_ where you where by simply resuming the
screem session.

On Pine using lynx as you defaul web browser.
In pine options you can easily set this.  I have my defaul web-browser set to
/home/tony/bin/WB.  WB is a little sheel script that works out is netscape,
mozilla, wget or lynx is the "best" option.  and then spawnss that with the
right args to disply the link.

On duplicate messages
Heh?, either pine of your imap server is broken, each imap tranaction should
be attomic.  WHat you're describing shouldn't happen to the best of my
knowledge.

On X creashing.
bassically the ONLY time X (as opposed to the whole machine) has crashed on me
was when I wrote a bad patch to the 3dfx drivers to try and increase my
framerate in Q3areana.  As I just said the patch was bad and X did crash, so I
guess my knowledge of 3d hardware needs imporoving.

Hope that helps.

Yours Tony

   Jan 22-25 2003           Linux.Conf.AU            http://linux.conf.au/
		  The Australian Linux Technical Conference!