[plug] Linux.Conf.Au Update.

Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima tony at cantech.net.au
Thu Nov 21 16:44:35 WST 2002

On Thu, 21 Nov 2002, Bret Busby wrote:

> It happens maybe a couple or a few times a month; generally when I am
> visiting a wonky website, that freezes a web browser, and causes
> XWindows to hang, requiring a shutdown -r, when the mouse non-dominant
> button does not work, to let me kill the application. Some website
> appear to have built-in code to sabotage Linux web browsers.

Wow, is a reboot really reqiuired? even if is it if you are running pine in
a screen session you can login remotely (I assume that as least _most_ of the
machine is workign or you couldn't type "shutdown -r"), re-attach your screen
session.  close pine _properly_ close any other applications you're running
in screen and then reboot.  nice.   Not as nice as if the browser hadn't hun
in the first place tho.

Next time it happens email me (not the list) the URL / website I'd be keen to
see if it is a problem specific to your machine.

> One of the more common crashes, occurs when I use Netscape, and the
> Internet connection is lost (we are on 4hr minimum dialup - it is not
> worth going into another discussion about the advantages of ADSL, here).
> When that happens, Netscape spits the dummy, and says "If I can't use
> the Internet, you can't use XWindows". The hanging is not always

All I can say is Damm strange.  what version of RedHat and netscape?

Yours Tony

   Jan 22-25 2003           Linux.Conf.AU            http://linux.conf.au/
		  The Australian Linux Technical Conference!