[plug] Linux.Conf.Au Update.

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Thu Nov 21 17:14:21 WST 2002

On Thu, 21 Nov 2002, Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima wrote:

> > One of the more common crashes, occurs when I use Netscape, and the
> > Internet connection is lost (we are on 4hr minimum dialup - it is not
> > worth going into another discussion about the advantages of ADSL, here).
> > When that happens, Netscape spits the dummy, and says "If I can't use
> > the Internet, you can't use XWindows". The hanging is not always
>
> All I can say is Damm strange.  what version of RedHat and netscape?

RH 7.3, Netscape 4.79.

It also happened with RH 6.2 and Netscape 4.61 (which was the latest
version of Netscape, that I found to be most stable).

I would probably have installed NS 4.61 on the RH 7.3 box, but I just
tend to avoid NS, as much as possible now, and it works for the little
use to which I now put it. I had tried NS 6, running on RH 6.2, but
found it to be like trying to cut butter with a jellyfish, after a
while. Perhaps, I just go beyond what these things can manage.

Oh, and galeon (from memory), and Opera 6.x, allow for switching off of
that pop-up excrement, so I only allow it for Internet banking, which,
from memory, I can only do with Opera, now, anyway, due to what the bank
did, and the Internet banking works with javascript pop-up windows
(ANZ).

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
  Chapter 28 of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
- Douglas Adams, 1988