PINE - was Re: [plug] Linux.Conf.Au Update.

Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima tony at cantech.net.au
Thu Nov 21 17:14:22 WST 2002

On Thu, 21 Nov 2002, Bret Busby wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Nov 2002, Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima wrote:
>

> > On Pine using lynx as you defaul web browser.
> > In pine options you can easily set this.  I have my defaul web-browser set to
> > /home/tony/bin/WB.  WB is a little sheel script that works out is netscape,
> > mozilla, wget or lynx is the "best" option.  and then spawnss that with the
> > right args to disply the link.
> >

> With using PINE outside XWindows, I understood that a text-based web
> browser has to be used; and that it is easy enough to set up the default
> browser for Netscape or whatever, but that works for GUI browsers, only
> when PINE is run within an xterm session, from my understanding; in
> other words, running PINE from a terminal or console session (I
> wouldn't mind knowing the correct term for it), from my understanding,
> will not open a browser window in a running XWindows session.

Your understanding is correct.  If you are not in a GUI environment you can't
use GUI tools.  All stands to reason really!.  If you read what I said again:

---
I have my defaul web-browser set to /home/tony/bin/WB.  WB is a little sheel
script that works out is netscape, mozilla, wget or lynx is the "best" option.
                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
and then spawnss that with the right args to disply the link.
---

As you can see it can pick the "best" option.  If I don't have gui avilable
it uses lynx or wget.  If I do have gui available then it'll pick either
netscape or mozilla.  This is IMO quite nice and would easily work around your
problem with Xwindows/console logins.

Perhaps my messsge was lost in my typos.

> From what I understand, the mail server, using postfix, is POP.

No postfix is NOT a POP server, it is an MTA.  You have something else doing
your POP serving.  I guessed it was IMAP, it seems I was wrong.  but still
my statement holds, if you end up with duplicates then something is broken.

> If PINE crashes during a download, no messages are removed from the
> mail server. We were off the net for about a month, at one stage, and I

Well this is plain stupid!  Mail retrival should be

for_every_message_available_on_server
     download_it_to_here
     delete_it
next_message.

NOT as would seem to be the case:

for_every_message_available_on_server
     download_it_to_here
next_message.

for_every_message_available_on_server
     delete_it
next_message.

<snip lotsa stuff>

> PINE is good, most of the time, but it does have its quirks.

If it were me I'd seriuosly look at useing fetchmail to doanload the messages
and then deliver them locally.  You'd lose the ability to access you email
from multiple locations but you'd also gain the advantage of not having to go
through all the hassle.

> Thanks for the other advice - I will soon be getting a larger monitor,
> so will revisit the advice then.

Goodo, although you can certainly look at screen without chaning your monitor.

Yours Tony

   Jan 22-25 2003           Linux.Conf.AU            http://linux.conf.au/
		  The Australian Linux Technical Conference!