PINE - was Re: [plug] Linux.Conf.Au Update.

Matt Kemner zombie at penguincare.com.au
Thu Nov 21 18:39:36 WST 2002

On Thu, 21 Nov 2002, quoth Bret Busby:

> Is that the Sturgeon General warning?

No, that's the Zombie General warning :)

> (was looking for the X-mailer flag, to determine the email application -
> could not find it)

That's because Pine doesn't add one.

The Message ID gives it away though (Pine.LNX..... - Pine on Linux)

> I understood that IMAP was used by webmail applications,

IMAP is used by most webmail applications because it is best suited to the
task (eg keeping mail on server)

> and that the
> email messages stayed on the mail server unless manually deleted;

Correct. Email in your INBOX is on the server.  As a result you can access
your email from any email client anywhere and not lose important messages.
You can keep all your mail folders on the server as well, and access them
from anywhere.

> that it did not allow downloading and filtering of messages.

If you use procmail, filtering happens on the server.

> I understood that procmail was like sendmail - for qualified sorcerers.

Kinda, but there are _plenty_ of example procmail recipes out there that
can be installed with little knowledge of how they work.

> We were advised to use postfix, behind fetchmail, as the mail
> server application, rather than, for example, sendmail, which was the
> other option, as it was more easy to set up, not being qualified
> sorcerers.

Which is still (IMHO of course) good advice

Although personally I prefer having email delivered to me via SMTP rather
than polling via fetchmail, but of course you need a static IP for that
(and a permanent account helps)

 - Matt