[plug] firewall computer - was Re: [plug] Has anyone else seen a flurry of Windows probes recently?

Arie Hol arie99 at ozemail.com.au
Tue Nov 26 00:43:25 WST 2002

Bret Busby, wrote :

>Beats ours (more minimal than ours); servicing 5 client computers, we
>have a Cyrix 100MHz 6x86, with 32MB RAM.
>
>I just wonder whether the speed, etc, of a firewall/gateway computer,
>restricts the throughput speed of data.

With the older types of PC's I think you will find that the type of UART
chip on the motherboard will have a greater influence on data rates than the
motherboard, CPU or the RAM.

If the UART chips are 16550 of better then you should have no problems - if
they are 15550 or less you are likely to lose a lot of packets due limited
buffer size on the UART chip itself.

Regards Arie