[plug] firewall computer - was Re: [plug] Has anyone else seen a flurry of Windows probes recently?

Matt Kemner zombie at penguincare.com.au
Tue Nov 26 10:00:31 WST 2002

On 26 Nov 2002, quoth William Kenworthy:

>  I did dome c programming on serial
> ports on a 16Mhz 386 under dos some (many) years ago and it only had a
> effect when trying to run windoze (3.0!)  Mind you the modem was only a
> 14.4 ...

14.4 is (was) OK, but I found I was not able to get a useful connection
at faster than ~19200 baud on my old 486 laptop (with 8250 UART)

I remember when the first 28.8k modems came out, and the ISP[0] I was
working at had a whole bunch of the add-on serial cards in stock (~$20
each)  because many of our customers needed them when they upgraded to the
faster modems.

 - Matt(getting all nostalgic now)

[0] Networx (networx.net.au)