[plug] firewall computer - was Re: [plug] Has anyone else seen a flurry of Windows probes recently?

Dion tenzero at iinet.net.au
Tue Nov 26 10:46:57 WST 2002

This is very true.  The uarts earlier than 16550 did not have deep
enough buffers to manage modems from the advent of the 28.8K modems.
Seeing as I have a pci modem with its own uart on the card this
shouldn't be an issue. Speaking of which I will need at least a pentium
class machine to have a pci slot to put it in.

Well it seems my question has been pretty thoroughly answered.  CPU and
RAM aren't major issues as long as I can drive the modem at full speed.
I think I have an old K6-III cpu/motherboard around here so I should be
able to build a decent linux firewall from that.

Thanks to all for the comments.
D.

--
"Never ascribe to malice that which may adequately be explained by incompetence." - Napoleon Bonaparte