[plug] Choice quote for Jacqueline (another)

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Tue Nov 26 11:17:40 WST 2002

>>They also telnet in to an old SCO box
>>to use one of our legacy (very, very legacy) systems.
>
> Tried iBCS? (-:

Its a tad ancient - I /think/ it works on 2.2 but was mainly for 2.0
kernels. There was a new version, called something like iABI, that
worked for 2.2 but I don't think it made it to 2.4 .

Besides, the software is running emulated on the SCO box under its
"Microsoft/SCO XENIX" kernel personality. *uggh*. SCO is designed to run
Xenix binaries seamlessly, and this software still manages to have
problems. Can you say "extremely badly behaved code"?

Also, finding the correct libraries etc would be a nasty experience. Its
mission-critical software and I'm not messing with it.

Good news on that front though - the re-write in Progress 9 was approved
a little while ago :-) which means a modern server (RH 7.3) and a
fast-track of our migration to netbooot linux boxes (still 486s sadly).
*woohoo*.

--
Craig Ringer
	-- if it ain't broke, add features 'till it is. (or:)