[plug] Mandrake 9.0 firewall?? problem

Graham, Alan A. Alan.Graham at woodside.com.au
Wed Nov 27 10:21:03 WST 2002

Just a thought, have you check /etc/hosts.equiv?  I don't know shorewall,
but it's possible that it installed tcpwrappers as an extra line of defense
(=good thing).  If so, then switching shorewall off *may* mess around with
the tcpwrappers config.  Although hosts.allow and hosts.deny seem ok from
what you've said.  Hmmm...

Another thing that shorewall may have done is to restrict access to ping to
root.  Worth cjecking?

Alan