[plug] more on bridging

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Wed Nov 27 20:04:20 WST 2002

May help someone.  In my previous post saying I could now ping between
eth0 and eth1 wasnt strictly correct.  A forced reboot (total lockup due
to nfs) and it all stopped.  Eventually found that proxy_arp is needed
on each interface along with a route and iptables rules.

e.g.,
iptables -I FORWARD -i eth0 -o eth1 -j ACCEPT
iptables -I FORWARD -i eth1 -o eth0 -j ACCEPT
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/eth0/proxy_arp
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/eth1/proxy_arp

route was set by the normal system files, both eth0 and eth1 are masq'd
to the Internet via monmotha script which has worked faultlessly for
many months.

BillK