[plug] Rsync issues

Colin Muller colin at twobluedots.com.au
Fri Nov 29 09:50:24 WST 2002

> I've never used rsync before, but after a bit of a read of the man files and
> online docs I had a crack at it with the below command and some weird things
> happened.  To start with, my /backup directory is substantially bigger than
> the heirarchy it was backing up, by about 0.5 gigs (I believe I have
> excluded any recursion that could have happened?).

Try adding:
--exclude /proc

If you want to delete files on the backup partition which have been
removed on the source one since the last backup, you'll also want the
--delete option. If you don't use that, the total size under /backup
will almost certainly grow with each backup.

Don't know about the partial transfer, do you have the full error
message?

Colin