[plug] Rsync issues

Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima tony at cantech.net.au
Fri Nov 29 09:55:34 WST 2002

On Fri, 29 Nov 2002, Richard Henry wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I wanted to make a weekly backup of one of my servers, so I put in a new
> drive.  The original one is about 4.5 gigs, the new one is 9.  I partitioned
> the new drive into 5 gigs (/backup) with the rest as /dump.  I basically
> wanted to use some sort of software RAID to sync my main old drive to
> /backup every now and then, so if one of the drives dies I have an identical
> one I can pretty much boot straight up into.
>
> I've never used rsync before, but after a bit of a read of the man files and
> online docs I had a crack at it with the below command and some weird things
> happened.  To start with, my /backup directory is substantially bigger than
> the heirarchy it was backing up, by about 0.5 gigs (I believe I have
> excluded any recursion that could have happened?).  Also, I get a weird
> error message at the end (partial transfer... ?).  Anyone have any
> experience with this kind of thing, and can see where I might be stumbling?
> I'm running Debian (testing), fully updated.  An explanation regarding those
> readlink errors would be nice too! ;)

Add an --exclude /proc aswell.

Should fix all the readlink errors, (most of) the size mismatch and the
"partial transfer" all in one swoop.

You may want to add --links and --delete-after to the command line.

HTH

Yours Tony

   Jan 22-25 2003           Linux.Conf.AU            http://linux.conf.au/
		  The Australian Linux Technical Conference!