[plug] Raid expantion

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Fri Nov 29 13:24:23 WST 2002

> Yes, most raid's have the ability to add a new drive without rebuilding,
> but you need to resize the partition and filesystem underneath that.
> This is the problem.

A very similar situation, which is expanding a partition on a disk
that's just been dd'd over from a smaller disk, is something I usually
don't find to be an issue.

It depends a lot on your partition layout.

As I usually have /home second-last and swap last, I can just expand the
extended partiton, remove the swap partition, recreate it at the end of
the drive, enlarge the /home partition to fit, then (with reiserfs,
works much the same with ext2/3) resize_reiserfs /dev/hdxn

then all is happy. I've done this several times and never had any
problems ; until a little "accident" involving an installer for "that
other OS" deciding I didn't /really/ want my data, I had the same
reiserfs /home and /usr/local I built when I first upgraded potato to
2.4.0, which was when 2.4.0 came out. I've been through a bunch of disks
since then....

--
Craig Ringer
	-- if it ain't broke, add features 'till it is. (or:)