[plug] Best motherboard / chip combo 4 linux?

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Sat Nov 30 10:31:18 WST 2002

> Can you suggest where I can read some current reviews on motherboards
> for Linux?

I don't really see them anymore. There's probably a good reason for
that: I've never run into an incompatable one, not even old P100 boards.
There's no linux support for AMR/ACRs but really who cares. All onboard
sound chips I've encountered are supported, as are chipsets, CPUs etc.
If you're getting onboard video, watch out for NVidia (good, but only if
you don't mind the occasionally annoying binary-only driver) and Trident
(CyberBlade XP support is only just getting into XFree86 and currently
requires you to replace the trident module with one built from XF86 CVS
to get it to work in anything but VESA mode).

Intel, VIA and AMD chipsets should all be fine.

I've never had to pay attention to "linux-specific issues" on my boards
when I upgrade, I just buy my pick of board.

Warning: if you want working, reliable APM/ACPI you may have to pay more
attention to which board you get. Sorry, can't help you there - NVidia
drivers kill the stability of the system if APM or ACPI is active, so I
don't get any PM features at all.