[plug] nForce / MSI K7N420 Pro and more than one RAM stick: graphics glitches

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Wed Oct 2 10:52:23 WST 2002

I discovered after much farting around that this motherboard doesn't like
having a DIMM in the second memory slot. It slows the whole machine down
terribly and in my case I got a whole mess of graphics glitches. The
manufacturer's don't mention this up front, although there is a one-line hint
buried deep in the mobo manual, but the internet does mention the problem,
with benchmarks and solutions (basically, use slot 1 and 3 if you have two
DIMMs):

    http://www.amdworld.co.uk/nfmemory.htm

You can also get around it using a BIOS update:

    http://www.amdworld.co.uk/nfmemup.htm

It annoys me that neither the manufacturer nor the wholesaler (DMA) as much as
mentioned this up front.

Cheers; Leon