[plug] apt-get sources.list

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Thu Oct 3 11:44:28 WST 2002

> this seems to initiate the packages file but ignores release.

Actually, there are no Release files in the kde3 debian tree on
ftp.iinet.net.au

As a result, if you then try to "apt-get install kde3" you'll get a huge
list of dependency warnings. There is no way AFAIK to set up
/etc/apt/preferences to prioritize KDE3 without a Release file. In other
words, the KDE archive is somewhat broken. I managed to install it by
semi-manually resolving the deps

apt-get install kdelibs4 kdebase (blah, blah blah) libc6/unstable
libvorbis0/unstable (blah blah blah)

but you don't want to do that. Among other things its not easy to remove
  KDE 3 later if you do it that way. I'd reccomend just waiting for
packages to arrive in sid or sarge - KDE3 just didn't impress me all
that much.

> Also how do we get a downloaded deb package installed from local machine, in
> slack I just point to file and installpkg or point pkgtool to it.

dpkg -i <pkg>

apt downloads packages into /var/cache/apt/archive by default.

> Is this same with apt-get or is there another install package to do this.?

wha? sorry, I'm not getting you here.

--
Craig Ringer
	-- if it ain't broke, add features 'till it is. (or:)