[plug] BugBear Virus

bob bob at fots.org.au
Thu Oct 3 17:12:26 WST 2002

On Thu, 2002-10-03 at 16:45, Travis Read wrote:
> I use sophos with qmial and qmail-scanner. It works very well. Sophos is
> updated by download very small files called .ida files. It's far easier to
> update than nai or any other virus scanner I've seen. They all require
> you to download a massive (2MB +) file. The sophos AV is only a small
> 200KB file.

Clamav [1] uses the OAV [2] (java based, OSS) scanner database which is
~500Kb at the present time. It has scriptable updates etc etc. Last
update of the databes was 1st Oct to cover bugbear etc.

Thinking about it, being OSS and not needing to protect any "super
sekrits", it would probably be possible to do some sort of patch file
for updates to the database and so reduce the D/L size even further.

I like the idea of an OSS virus scanner but am wondering if its
effective.

Anyone?

[1] http://www.clamav.org/
[2] http://www.openantivirus.org/