[plug] westnet ADSL problems with Debian

Grahame Bowland grahame at azale.net
Sat Oct 5 22:34:00 WST 2002

On Saturday 05 October 2002 13:10, Ben Bromfield wrote:
> Hi Craig,
>
> I'm also connected to westnet ADSL with debian and im also getting
> disconnected every now and again.
> I get disconnected around once or twice a week. I've always put it down to
> Telstra or westnet screwups, but im starting to become suspicions there may
> be something else causing the problem.
>
> I have noticed that its more likely I get kicked off when I start a number
> of large file xfers.
> It could be the dslmodem is getting swamped and falling over so I'm going
> to upgrade the firmware in the next few days and see if that helps. (Dlink
> DSL 300)
>

> If that don't help I think I may call westnet support :)

Same problems here, I'm with arachnet rather than Westnet. I spoke to
Arachnet, who were extremely helpful and could even help with Linux. They
told me that Telstra are locking my port. Every time it has dropped out and
we've rung immediately, they've found the port was locked by Telstra.

They said one reason could be excessive attempts to get a connection, but that
seems unlikely as my logs don't show any "dial" attempts at my end.

Arachnet did reset the port through Telstra one time and that fixed it. The
most frustrating thing is that I can't talk to Telstra - Arachnet tell me
that they will be charged heavily if I ring Telstra and try to discuss the
problem.

I'm not sure if the bridge at Telstras end needs to see something every now
and again or it assumes that the port is unused? I would have assumed it
worked around connectivity at the DSL level, and just bridged ethernet back
arachnet?

> Ben
>
> p.s. I implemented QOS on my DSL link the other day and im amazed at the
> increase in performance!

Westnet honor QoS on their network? Cool!

How are you using QoS? Just to mark ssh,telnet as higher priority and
everything else as maximum throughput?

-grahame