[plug] [link+highlights] Linux TCO: Less Than Half The Cost of Windows

Grahame Bowland grahame at azale.net
Wed Oct 9 22:16:59 WST 2002

On Wednesday 09 October 2002 22:06, Leon Brooks wrote:

> Y'know, if I earned USD$71,400 a year (AUD$130,305 at today's rates) for
> what I do, I'd never miss the extra USD$14,444 (AUD$26,361) that I'd rake
> in as a Solaris sysop. (-:

I was ircing to an Irish Sun hacker on the GNOME project ages ago, I told him
what I earn at UWA. Expressed in pounds it sounds pretty low. His response
was "Wow, I wouldn't get out of bed for that."

My income isn't *too* bad for a Perth admin, in a comfortable job that is
reasonably secure. Although it is tempting sometimes to use my EU citizenship
and buy a one-way ticket to Ireleand or something ;)

Okay, so everything costs twice as much in .ie. But I'd still earn twice my
AU$ salary in pounds over there :-)

We need to figure out some way of exporting our IT services to Europe and the
US, like the Indians that are doing all the phone support. Euros are much
nicer to earn :-)

Cheers
Grahame