[plug] VNC

Denis Brown dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Wed Oct 9 22:48:22 WST 2002

Hello, Garry.

I have just been setting up VNC with a secure tunnel for a couple of Win
machines so this may help...   If you are thinking to use VNC as a route
to access a server by several users, each with their own X desktop, that
might work given that each will be on a different port (user 1 on 5900,
user 2 on 5902 and so on).

The main idea behind VNC as I read it is to give one or more clients
access to the *same* desktop on the remote machine.

For the security aspect I have chosen zebedee (don't have a reference
handy now but it's on SourceForge) and it seems to do the job nicely.  Of
course in the Linux world you also have ssl but for Win situations there
are lots of free clients, few free servers of which zebedee is one.

Feel free to contact me off list if you think I can assist further bearing
in mind I haven't extensive experience with VNC (yet).
Hope this helps,
Denis