[plug] VNC

shayne shayne at guild.murdoch.edu.au
Wed Oct 9 23:51:11 WST 2002

Yeah. The trick is to set up VNC server as the default XDM client (I set
up a similar scheme at my work)
Erm... You will have to look up a good tute on how to do this, but from
memory, you get into the /etc/X11/xdm (or is it gdm? something like
that) and turn on remote XDM thingee on....
Then you edit services to define some ports as your default vnc in
ports, now I recomend using a whacky port so that you'd vnc into
myhosts.yay.com:69 or something. Poor mans security I guess. From there,
you edit your inetd.conf so that when that port gets whacked by an
incomming vnc vibe, it'll launch the vncserver and attach to that
request...
Poor mans application serving with xdm login auth to boot!. For good
effect, make a web page that embeds the java client and your cooking
with gas.
As for the vnc security, I don't think it's that good, HOWEVER from
memory there was a ssl version of VNC *I THINK* out there somewhere.

The only use of wireless lan I've used was on a mil contract with some
rather cool mega sized encryption key stuff, so I don't know what the
consumer-land stuff is like. Try seeing if there is a 128bit keysize
version for card / basestation bioses for and go nuts. Either that or
perhaps wrap the whole sucker in a VPN session or sumfin'

Good luck.
Shayne.