[plug] Uninterupted service network

Justin Hall justin at inwa.com.au
Sat Oct 12 21:31:00 WST 2002

Could you use 'round robin' DNS table? DNS hands out an IP from a pool of
addresses for a HOST name... then only 1 of n addresses would have a problem
if a router goes down... (so with 2 servers half of accesses would get the
bad server?)
but that is not quite good enough..

what about you have the 'magic' ip address that the services should respond to
XXX.
Primary has addresss YYY and an Alias to XXX, a secondary server has another
address ZZZ.
The secondary monitors the state of the primary server (through XXX ip
address)... primary goes down.. secondary puts up an address alias of XXX...
Primary comes back up with only the address YYY - sees that XXX is active on
the secondary.. so it now monitors the secondary.. the secondary goes down..
it alias' the XXX address - when the secondary comes up it ....
oh you may need aliases on both interfaces.. as it is the router ;)

Is that thinking sound or useful? Or am i out of my tree?

Justin