[plug] Uninterupted service network

shayne shayne at guild.murdoch.edu.au
Sun Oct 13 22:01:26 WST 2002

That would mean you have to guarantee two servers to work to get 100%
uptime. Using failover means that you reeeealy only have to guarantee
the first but hope the second one works if the first one kaks.

Scenario 1 (ALTERNATING DNS)
Each guarantee a portion of 50% of the whole time, and say provides 80%
uptime each
<-------server1--50%----><--------server2--50%--->100%
You still have only statistically 80% uptime
Scenario2 (Failover)
Ultimately in fail over scheme you have 20% x 20% downtime,
or 4% (I think? No mathbrain turned on now) downtime!!!

The bastard of course is in the Sync!