[plug] westnet ADSL problems with Debian

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Mon Oct 14 10:35:29 WST 2002

> Not sure if this is linked, but the last week or so
> I've also been having huge dropout problems... it's
> been redialling 2-3 times per day on average, whereas
> it used to go at least a week. (This is on Netspace,
> not Westnet.)

Doesn't sound good - but I've been getting the 2-3 redials/day since I
connected. *sigh*. ADSL is nice - PPPoE SUCKS!!! I've got transparently
bridged ADSL with iiNet at work - it was up for more than a year
non-stop 'till telstra's little accident a couple of months ago.

Sadly, wesnet support can't really help me since it appears to be a
problem local to my systems (and a few others?), other linux users
aren't having it with them. I'm considering ditching the debian install
on the firewall and putting on smoothwall or something to see if that
fixes it - but I /like/ having a flexible firewall.

--
Craig Ringer
	-- if it ain't broke, add features 'till it is. (or:)