[plug] XTerm Defaults...

Russell Steicke russells at plug.linux.org.au
Tue Oct 15 11:10:01 WST 2002

On Tue, Oct 15, 2002 at 09:35:09AM +0800, Trevor Phillips wrote:

> On related topics, what do people use instead of the standard
> X-Term, and why?

After investigating the alternatives, I decided that nothing else came
anywhere near plain xterm for convenience.  Some people complain about
it's memory usage, but that hasn't been an issue for me.

There is enough choice of font sizes (using control-right-mouse) to
keep me happy, and the options available on the other mouse buttons
are more than enough.

One thing I found really annoying about one of the alternatives
(gnome-terminal or konsole, I can't remember which) was that if I
selected another font size, it kept the window size the same and
changed the terminal size (rows by columns) to fit in.  This seemed to
be the wrong way around to me, the terminal size is the more important
dimension.  It is a terminal emulator, after all.

The only missing feature that I found useful was konsole's "New"
button at the bottom, and the ability to have multiple terminals in
one window.  But I now use screen, which gives me the multiple
terminals, and can disconnect and reconnect the session as well.  Very
nice.

It was a happy day when I discovered that I could "apt-get remove
gnome-terminal" and have all the debian gnome menus start an xterm
instead, because they all run x-terminal-emulator.

> I do prefer a terminal which supports Antialiased fonts...

For terminals that use fixed width fonts, I can't see the point.