[plug] XTerm Defaults...

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Tue Oct 15 11:37:52 WST 2002

> It was a happy day when I discovered that I could "apt-get remove
> gnome-terminal" and have all the debian gnome menus start an xterm
> instead, because they all run x-terminal-emulator.

You don't have to.

A debian config trick that you might've missed takes care of it. All the
  menus that auto-switched probably had "X Terminal Emulator" listed not
"Gnome Terminal" and pointed to the x-terminal-emulator symlink.

Now, if you

update-alternatives --config x-terminal-emulator

you can pick which xterm gets run by the x-terminal-emulator command. As
a result, I only every refer to "x-terminal-emulator" in my scripts,
menu and toolbar files, etc - so I can switch quickly and easily.

>>I do prefer a terminal which supports Antialiased fonts...
>
> For terminals that use fixed width fonts, I can't see the point.

Depends. If you're using a monospaced truetype font, it would be very
nice - but if you're using a bitmapped font like 8x13 or 10x20 it (a)
won't work and (b) wouldn't help.

Personally, I like the bitmapped console fonts so I don't care - but I
only found out about them recently since for some incomprehensible
reason the font selectors in things like gnome-terminal don't display
them. I've started using rxvt instead over the last week or so (now that
I know how to configure it with X resources) and had to find a decent font.

--
Craig Ringer
	-- if it ain't broke, add features 'till it is. (or:)