[plug] XTerm Defaults...

Trevor Phillips T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au
Tue Oct 15 11:41:46 WST 2002

On Tuesday 15 October 2002 11:10, Russell Steicke wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 15, 2002 at 09:35:09AM +0800, Trevor Phillips wrote:
> > On related topics, what do people use instead of the standard
> > X-Term, and why?
>
> After investigating the alternatives, I decided that nothing else came
> anywhere near plain xterm for convenience.  Some people complain about
> it's memory usage, but that hasn't been an issue for me.

I have much more memory-hungry apps than X-term that drown my Duck
(http://packages.debian.org/testing/x11/bubblefishymon.html).

> There is enough choice of font sizes (using control-right-mouse) to
> keep me happy, and the options available on the other mouse buttons
> are more than enough.

Oooh! I didn't know about that. Options to play with!! ^_^;;

> The only missing feature that I found useful was konsole's "New"
> button at the bottom, and the ability to have multiple terminals in
> one window.  But I now use screen, which gives me the multiple
> terminals, and can disconnect and reconnect the session as well.  Very
> nice.

Yeah, after a friend raved about screen for a while, I eventually succumbed,
and haven't looked back.

I have turned into a Tab-Junkie, though, hence me using "pwm", which allows me
to bunch X-Terms (and any other X app I want) into one tabbed window. So I
have an X-Term to each machine I work on, and in each, I run screen, with a
handful of virtual sessions each.

> > I do prefer a terminal which supports Antialiased fonts...
>
> For terminals that use fixed width fonts, I can't see the point.

Personal preference. Most fixed width fonts look crap AA'ed, but I found one
or two which I do prefer to normal jaggie fonts. ^_^
X-Term supports AA fine...

: Web Technical Administrator     -          T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :
| IT Services                        -              Murdoch University |