SOHO UPS... (Was Re: [plug] Weird power glitch)

Trevor Phillips T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au
Thu Oct 17 17:25:55 WST 2002

On Thursday 17 October 2002 15:29, James Bromberger wrote:

> Gotta say I agree. I picked up a 1KVa UPS about a year back, and worked
> on getting it supported by Nut. It was reasonlaby cheap (I think it was
> $500 or $600). 1KVa is huge. If you are after something to give you 1 - 2
> minutes of power you can do that even cheaper again.  Mine was a PowerCom
> ULT-1000.

Hey, that's not too bad!

Today's brown-outs illustrated something important, when all the machines in
the office kept working - except those on the aging APC 120KVa UPS!! Oops!
Dead UPS!

Luckily, "Site B" used to be a UPS Farm, but is now off one big one, so I
scored a really neat APC 1000KVA with LED load/battery indicators. (Quick
check around shows it'd cost around $1100 new...)

Anyway, this leads me to: What would people recommend as a UPS for a
Small/Home office situation? Perhaps to support 2-3 PCs?

Having had experience with APCs, I had a look, and there's a few 500KVa ones
for $200->$300 - and they support USB now Wooh!

So, not only what brands do people recommend, but could you tell me how well
Linux is supported as far as monitoring such things? It'd be nice if a server
could shut itself down gracefully if the power went out, and no-one was
around...

: Web Technical Administrator     -          T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :
| IT Services                        -              Murdoch University |