[plug] X-Mas present

Matt Kemner zombie at penguincare.com.au
Fri Oct 18 18:01:58 WST 2002

Linux IT (Scott & myself) are considering donating an X-Box to PLUG for
the purpose of installing Linux on it and using it as an additional server
for PLUG.

We would like to open up discussion on various issues, being:

a) Legality - ie is Microsoft going to get nasty because a Linux User
   Group is advertising the fact they are running Linux on an X-Box?
b) Uses - what services would be best moved onto this faster platform?
   (eg the website)
c) Who's volunteering to do the hardware modifications required?
d) Who's volunteering to do the software installation?
e) We would like a volunteer to document the process step-by-step so we
   can publish it on the PLUG website.

Note, we have not yet purchased the X-Box, we are just trying to gauge
interest, and we're hoping this will become a "PLUG Project" of sorts.

If there is sufficient interest we will go and purchase the hardware and
arrange with those that volunteer to do the modifications.

I would like to volunteer for the software installation.

Regards,

 - Matt Kemner
   Linux IT
   9331 8051