[plug] X-Mas present

Harry McNally harrymc at decisions-and-designs.com.au
Fri Oct 18 20:49:53 WST 2002

On Fri, 18 Oct 2002 20:17:37 +0800 (WST) Matt Kemner <zombie at penguincare.com.au> wrote:

> On Fri, 18 Oct 2002, quoth Harry McNally:
>
> > I didn't realise there were hardware mods Matt. If you can point me at
> > the site for the mods I can guage my ability (time availability mainly)
> > to put my hand up for hardware.
>
> This site has links to a few different ones:
> http://xbox-scene.com/modchips.php
>
> I know of one person (PLUG member, but no longer on this list) who got the
> 29 wire version and his X-Box is now happily running Debian.
> http://www.xbox-scene.com/articles/homemademod.php

Righto. I had a look around but it looks like some links are off-line at the mo'. Some grubby pictures of 29 bare wires will get my pulse racing ;-)

I'll keep looking. Mayhaps the 29 wire PLUGer could pass us the boomph on his mod.

> > ps The hardware mods couldn't have legal consequences, surely ?
>
> Apparently there's a copyright issue because most of the mod chips contain
> their own BIOS code, which is based on the Microsoft BIOS code.
> I don't know the specifics, nor do I know if there is a way to do it
> without infringing copyright, hence why I wanted to open the debate.

Gotcha. It would be nice to flault a squeaky clean mod wouldn't it :) Rewriting a BIOS is a biggish effort for a xmas delivery!

So what's the name of this proposal, FreeBoX, Xmas_ters, LinuXbox, .. ? :)

Harry

--
linux.conf.au 2003		The Australian Linux Technical Conference
http://linux.conf.au/		22-25 January 2003 in Perth, Western Australia

Are you a computer angel?	http://www.ca.asn.au/