[plug] X-Mas present

Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima tony at cantech.net.au
Sat Oct 19 08:47:13 WST 2002

On Fri, 18 Oct 2002, Matt Kemner wrote:

> Linux IT (Scott & myself) are considering donating an X-Box to PLUG for
> the purpose of installing Linux on it and using it as an additional server
> for PLUG.

Thanks guys, great Idea :)

> We would like to open up discussion on various issues, being:
>
> a) Legality - ie is Microsoft going to get nasty because a Linux User
>    Group is advertising the fact they are running Linux on an X-Box?

Perhaps we can ask Jeremy?  The reason we incoporated was JIC something
happend.  We could loose everything the PLUG owns but nothing personal and
Linux IT would not be under attack.  (I Think)

> b) Uses - what services would be best moved onto this faster platform?
>    (eg the website)

As you've said the webserevr would be a good choice.  If it comes with enought
HDD then I suggest we also make it an NFS serevr an x-mount /home to the
existing spark.  Spark could then be primarily an email server.

> c) Who's volunteering to do the hardware modifications required?

Harry :)

> d) Who's volunteering to do the software installation?

Pick Me!  I've already gotten Linux runing on a MIPS box (althoight I think
the xbox is mips_sel).  It's my hobby to but linux on non-x86 boxes whenever I
can get one :)

> e) We would like a volunteer to document the process step-by-step so we
>    can publish it on the PLUG website.

If Harry (whoever ends up doing thr hardware mods) documents his part then
I'll happily document the software install.  If it's like PPC Mips of alpha
the only problems are getting the install started, then making the installed
system boot by itself.  everything else is in the install.en.html on the w.d.o

Yours Tony

   Jan 22-25 2003           Linux.Conf.AU            http://linux.conf.au/
		  The Australian Linux Technical Conference!