[plug] rsync and nfs

Bernard Blackham bernard at blackham.com.au
Sat Oct 19 12:26:20 WST 2002

Plug,

I'm using rsync to make backups of my machine to an area on another
machine mounted over nfs as such:

	mount /backups
	rsync -avx --delete / /backups/machine/

And the thought just dawned on me - am I actually gaining anything
by using rsync? The comparison is still done over the network
(100Mbit, so its not so bad), ie, each file is read over the
network, and then written if it's different. This seems more
inefficient than just blatting over the top with "cp -ax /
/backups/machine".

It appears to be somewhat faster though, or am I just hallucinating?

When running it over ssh using -c blowfish, the server repeatedly
kills it's rsync process because it was hogging too much memory
(only has 32MB+80MB swap), so I just stuck to NFS.

So, am I gaining anything by using rsync and NFS?

TIA,

Bernard.

--
 Bernard Blackham