[plug] OT: Australian Spam and the 'proper way of dealing with it'?

Daniel cottmain at iinet.net.au
Tue Oct 22 19:39:32 WST 2002

Hi,
am I on the right track here?
when I get unsolicited e-mails apparently from a local Australian source
I have been waiting until I get more than one
Checking out the source headers
Going to Melbourne It '.au Whois' and searching for contact details for
source isp. and e-mailing them a 'please get your customer to stop it'.
I expect to find 'abuse at blah.net.au' and if they don't have an abuse
e-mail I am immediately suspicious they don't want to facilitate that
contact (domains at globalsoft.com.au)(too hard on them?)

Q.  Is  this the right approach?

Q.  Are there rules for isps with users hosting mailing lists that get
them to have 'confirm subscription' e-mails before placing someone on
the mailing list?  (Perth Glory)[Or is it just ok for them to do it as
long as they stop when they are asked nicely?]

Q.  What is the next step if an isp doesn't respond?
(MelbourneIt search gives no results on 'spam' so I guess not spamming
is not a condition)

Despite the 'win' of the anti-spam campaign against 'Wa-ne Mans_-_-_' I
can't help remembering he said he would appeal and yet the whole thing
never should have got to court in the first place.

The Spammer sueing the spam complainer seems like the Devil sueing God
for making people good .... I wonder if those guys have to spend a lot
of time sorting through spam and answering telemarketing phone calls
during dinner. I wish them 100 religious zelots at their front door with
each one converting them in turn.

Cheers,
Daniel.