[plug] OT: Australian Spam and the 'proper way of dealing with it'?

James Bromberger james at rcpt.to
Tue Oct 22 19:56:14 WST 2002

Daniel (cottmain at iinet.net.au) wrote:
> Hi,
> am I on the right track here?
> when I get unsolicited e-mails apparently from a local Australian source
> I have been waiting until I get more than one
> Checking out the source headers
> Going to Melbourne It '.au Whois' and searching for contact details for
> source isp. and e-mailing them a 'please get your customer to stop it'.
> I expect to find 'abuse at blah.net.au' and if they don't have an abuse
> e-mail I am immediately suspicious they don't want to facilitate that
> contact (domains at globalsoft.com.au)(too hard on them?)

You can also try:
	{postmaster,root,abuse}@spammers domain
	{postmaster,root,abuse}@isp's domain

And if you feel the ISP is not going to do anything, then go back one
more hop and use the same threee addresses at the ISP's upstream.

> Q.  Is  this the right approach?

I used to use it, but I think if you actually reply to the spammers thet
sometimes just stick your address in a list of 'valid addresses',
becuase they got a response from it. *shrug*

> Q.  Are there rules for isps with users hosting mailing lists that get
> them to have 'confirm subscription' e-mails before placing someone on
> the mailing list?  (Perth Glory)[Or is it just ok for them to do it as
> long as they stop when they are asked nicely?]

There are no rules. Only manners.

> Q.  What is the next step if an isp doesn't respond?
> (MelbourneIt search gives no results on 'spam' so I guess not spamming
> is not a condition)

Their upstream, cc to spews (duck) or other RBLs, or CC to the media,
etc. Or write up a nice web page saying how dissapointed you are.

> The Spammer sueing the spam complainer seems like the Devil sueing God
> for making people good .... I wonder if those guys have to spend a lot
> of time sorting through spam and answering telemarketing phone calls
> during dinner. I wish them 100 religious zelots at their front door with
> each one converting them in turn.

Like the SearchKing.com people suing Google because Google is too good
and it has taken away their business. Yeah, right! (slashdot today).

  JB