[plug] X crash wipes dot files

Mark Haselden levsky at neubauten.iinet.net.au
Wed Oct 23 20:35:07 WST 2002

On Wed, Oct 23, 2002 at 08:26:15PM +0800, Harry McNally wrote:
> Does reiserfs obfuscate the real meaning ? Just a wild stab.

I'm hardly a zen master but here goes anyway (my understanding, feel
free to correct me)

Reiserfs uses balanced trees to store filesystem metadata.
Hence, there's no need for a fixed inode table - you can just keep growing
the trees.  Hence, the number of available inodes is always 2^32 - no matter
how many files you've got, you can always add more, disk space
limitations permitting.

Cheers

Mark

--
Being a Unix system administrator is like being a tech in a biological
warfare laboratory, except that none of the substances are labeled

Michael Tiemann