[plug] IT Job Seekers / Business start-up peer support group

Sham Chukoury chukours at sesmailp1.curtin.edu.au
Thu Oct 24 12:45:37 WST 2002

I disagree. If we, young people, get out of the IT field, then what
happens to the IT industry within, say, 5 - 10 years? Management may not
give a f*ck about IT people, but if they want to stay competitive - or
even survive - in the world now, they need us. And IT people with 20
years experience aren't gonna be here forever.

So yea, the current economic climate doesn't look too good, but that's
no reason to throw a potentially interesting career path away. So the
lesson is: get yourself some skills, keep your skills as up to date as
possible and keep looking. Or else, take the plunge and start your own
business.

By the way, for those of you who are considering taking the plunge and
starting your own businesses, you might be interested in contacting
Software Engineering Australia - www.seawa.org.au (the WA branch). They
offer services and facilities to members, such as a tech library,
software incubator (development environment), testing labs, etc. At the
moment, they don't seem to be a very Linux-friendly bunch - they only
mention Linux where it comes to their testing labs. Ah well, I'm pretty
sure some of you will find their resources useful.

§:)