[plug] Bill's enhanced standards (Re: [plug] Massive DoS attack?)

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Thu Oct 24 16:30:52 WST 2002

Howdy,

On 24 Oct 2002 15:53:56 +0800, Sham Chukoury wrote:

| Hmmm... what weird characters? Yes, I did use MS Outlook to post that
| message, and yes, maybe it is Bill's "enhanced" version. I'm trying to
| switch to Ximian Evolution. *whinge* My Linux box is too small and too
| slow for usual work (Pentium 166's used to be cool, some time ago :P) so
| I'm stuck with my still-under-warranty WinXP box, with evil things on
| it, like MS Outlook and so on. But once the warranty's gone, I'm gonna
| gut it and put a shiny Linux installation on there. :)

There are a dozen or so characters (including what Microsoft calls "smart
quotes") which are not defined in the iso8859 character set; they're in
microsoft-cp1252 and iso10646 (and MacRoman), but Outlook specified the
character set in the headers as iso8859.  The quotes and apostrophes and
the like in your first message turned out as _s in my mailer. (For some
reason, the second message looks fine.)

| BTW, I hear a rumour that the WinXP "kernel" (if it can be called that)
| has got some Linux kernel code in it and that that may account for its
| stability over previous Win9x releases... Anyone got more info on that?

I believe that Win2k, WinME and WinXP all share networking code with *BSD.
Could be wrong about that, though.

-CP.